Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book Reads and Suggestions

In my first blog entry, I did a book recommendation list of three books that I like that others might as well, and I'm kind of going off on that in this one.  I was thinking of the books that I've read this past year or so (probably since the spring of 2012), and it's actually kind of amazing how many I've read, or are currently reading.  I know there's probably a few more than what I came up with, but here's the list (you'll recognize a few from the first blog I did in this list):
  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
  • Zero Regrets by Apolo Anton Ohno
  • The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departed by Bronnie Ware
  • Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David Burns (recommended to me by a manager as I was going through a tough time last year)
  • Not a Fan.  Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Christ by Kyle Idleman
  • Let. It. Go. by Karen Ehman (currently reading as part of a bible study through Proverbs 31 Ministry and melissataylor.org)
  • Be It.  Believe It. by Ali Vincent (a Biggest Loser winner, I believe season 5)
  • Becoming Fearless: My Ongoing Journey of Learning to Trust God by Michelle Aguilar (Michelle is the season 6 winner of the Biggest Loser) (currently reading)

As I finish up the books I'm currently reading, I was wondering what I could read next that would seem to be a good read.  I decided to go through the books I have, and came up with a list of books that I might actually enjoy and would love to read at some point (I have a wide variety of interests...sports, music, biography, religious, etc):


  • The Tao of Music by John M Ortiz
  • Playing With Purpose by Mike Yorkey
  • A History of God by Karen Armstrong
  • The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (another book recommended to me by a manager)
  • A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
  • Protestantism by J Leslie Dunstan
  • Basilica - The Splendor and Scandal: Building St. Peter's by R. A. Scott
  • Sacred Hoops by Phil Jackson
  • The Games Do Count by Brian Kilmeade
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Promise Me by Nancy G Brinker
  • The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
  • Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy
  • Open by Andre Agassi
  • Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore
  • Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
  • How (Not) to Speak of God by Peter Rollins
  • Proverbs of Ashes by Rita Nakashima Brock and Rebecca Ann Parker
  • Fingerprints of God by Barbara Bradley Hagerty
  • The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell
  • Outliers by Malcom Gladwell

That's obviously a big list of books that I would like to read, but I seem to be on the look out now-a-days looking for the next book to keep me busy, and to read something that would grab my interest and if need be, make question and realize what I can take a long, hard look at inside myself, and what I can do change (Let. It. Go. by Karen Ehman is doing that right now for me actually because it deals with the control that women have and trying to let it go...I've always been one who wants to have control over things, and by reading this book, I'm really learning that it hits home with me, along with being called out by one of my managers on something related to this).

If you have read any of the above books and have input on them (did you like it, would you recommend it, etc), let me know.  I would love your input.  Also...if you've been thinking about reading any of the above books, let me know as well, and maybe we can read and discuss it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment